so here is the dictionary....
- The quality or condition of being a person.
- The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.
- The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.
- The state or fact of remaining the same one or ones, as under varying aspects or conditions: The identity of the fingerprints on the gun with those on file provided evidence that he was the killer.
- The condition of being oneself or itself, and not another: He doubted his own identity.
- Condition or character as to who a person or what a thing is: a case of mistaken identity.
- The state or fact of being the same one as described.
- The sense of self, providing sameness and continuity in personality over time and sometimes disturbed in mental illnesses, as schizophrenia.
- The predominant or prevailing tendency of one's spirits; natural mental and emotional outlook or mood; characteristic attitude: a girl with a pleasant disposition.
- State of mind regarding something; inclination: a disposition to gamble.
For instance, a more accepted definition for Identity would include some notion of performance and relate to how in my identity as mother I am a different than in my identity as a graduate student. But it gets all muddy because who I am as a mother influences who I am as a scholar and vice versa. And all of that is influenced by my social position in society... white, well-educated, affluent. And my underlying beliefs ... one who follows Christ.
I can hardly figure this out for myself... is this a fool's errand for my research?